Not one blog location I have traveled to has been the same.
This perfectly shows that individuals who have special needs also have unique hobbies they enjoy, ambition to join the workforce, passion to do a good job and a love to be involved in the community!
I have loved that each company I have been blessed to meet with, I can see how it can cater to different joys and activities. From coffee shops, waterparks, and tennis classes, I couldn't imagine what the blog would lead me to next! Would I assume it would be a karate class? Not at all! But I am so excited to share with you about this week’s Wandering Texas with Whitney location!
The classes are individualized and created with the student in mind! This is incredible that the teachers take in account the student learning needs, how they will be successful and then creates an adaptive curriculum.
The classes our taught by teaches who have their black belt, but there is something even more credible about them- each of them are parents or siblings to a individual with disabilities.
This allows empathy and connection between the teacher and student. The classes your student will be enrolled in goes way beyond karate! This is a time to increase social skills.
“To enrich lives and offer hope to individuals with intellectual and developmental differences and their families through making karate practice, its techniques and values available to students of all abilities.”
- Beyond Karate has been around for only 5 years and started with only four students!! With each year, this amount has doubled.
- There are currently 60 students enrolled and if you and your family live a busy life- BK offers classes every day of the week!
- There the option of three different age groups! So everyone is capable of being involved.
- They focus on things beyond karate, by working at social skills through involvement in other activities outside and during the classes. - twice a month students have the option to be apart of social outings that “encourages friendships, connection and a sense of belonging.”
- Students who started off nonverbal, began talking as they participate in BK’s classes. For example, the owner told us a story about a girl who is non verbal expressing it is such an incredible opportunity that she can learn karate and still participate while working on speaking skills.
- If they are interested, parents have the opportunity to interact with their kids in the program letting them connect with kids and teenagers.
- The students are motivated by achieving different belts which can only be obtained by learning a new skill each time!
- When a older student reaches their brown belt, they can have the opportunity to help other classes.
- Currently some students are trying to earn black belt and are going to test in early Fall!